Today, North Carolina State University’s ERM Initiative and Protiviti released the results of our third annual global survey of board members and C-level executives. Our survey assesses the extent to which a broad collection of risks are likely to affect organizations in 2015. We’ll be discussing the results here in greater detail over the coming weeks. For now, I want to share with you our short video along with our key results:
Among our key findings this year:
- The global business environment in 2015 is perceived to be somewhat less risky for organizations than it was in the last two years.
- Most organizations are more likely to invest additional resources towards risk management in 2015 compared to the past two years.
- Regulatory change and heightened regulatory scrutiny is the top overall risk for the third consecutive year.
- There are concerns about cyberthreats disrupting core operations.
- Economic conditions are again a key risk area for organizations.
- There is greater focus on succession challenges and the ability to attract and retain talent.
Our report, Executive Perspectives on Top Risks for 2015, as well as a podcast and video, are available at www.protiviti.com/TopRisks. We also have published an informative infographic. In addition, on Thursday, February 12 (at 1:00 p.m. ET/10:00 a.m. PT), Protiviti and North Carolina State University will host a webinar to discuss the survey results and provide analysis as to how organizations can address these risk areas.
I again want to acknowledge our outstanding partners at North Carolina State University’s ERM Initiative: Dr. Mark Beasley, Dr. Bruce Branson and Professor Donald Pagach. It is a tremendous pleasure to work with them on this well-received project. I also want to thank the many individuals in Protiviti, including our Industry Leadership team, for their valuable contributions to this project.